It’s almost obvious that technology plays an essential role in our society. The numbers are more encouraging when you analyze the situation of future generations, those children who know how to turn on their cell phone, handle a tablet or surf the Internet from an early age. The development of our children has evolved into the field of digitization, in such a way that it could be said that instead of thinking with pencil and paper, they now think digitally.
These new habits take over the little ones, who now play, read and learn new concepts thanks to the use of a computer or mobile device. Even in times of Corona virus, when many students are at home, teachers are seeing great advantages when teaching at a distance through technology.
It is now possible to find the great classics of literature in ebook format or solve mathematical problems directly on your computer. The endless hours spent in the library browsing extensive books has changed so that in a single click, children can Google everything they are looking for. It is not just the Internet, as a vast informational network, but also the databases of schools, institutes and universities, which increasingly provide students with a greater number of articles, files and digitized reports of interest.
New Technologies in the Room
The presence of new technologies in the classroom is more frequent every day; computer rooms with highly qualified computers; laptops on tables to follow the class from the small screen, viewing and sharing certain files; Download mobile educational apps to reinforce mathematical, historical or linguistic knowledge. It is true that the phenomenon of digitization eliminated that mythical experience of people getting in direct contact with the smell and feel of a book, but it also guaranteed to take a step towards new formats and bet on innovation as a resource. Large historical documents with the best quality guarantees and at the service of students.
Thanks to digitization, educational books and archives can be consulted by students today and tomorrow, without deteriorating over time. Likewise, they guarantee the possibility for several students to access the same document at the same time, and can be shared and sent automatically in a matter of seconds. Although we don’t think about it, digitization allows us to replace libraries and shelves in a room with a smaller space to store CDs and DVDs that can be of educational interest to students.
The phenomenon of digitization could eliminate the need for children to carry heavy backpacks full of books from home to school, using exclusively a technological device in which they would have the tasks to be performed. This situation would further increase the productivity and profitability of students, who would feel more motivated to discover new concepts while developing their technological skills.
The presence of digitization in education brings remarkable benefits for the growth of children and adolescents:
- 1. With the digitalization of classrooms or at a distance, it will be possible for students to work with different audiovisual formats (texts, images, videos, games, sounds, maps, etc.), making classes more enjoyable.
- 2. Technology allows for the personalization of teaching, that is, the student will use the material that best stimulates and helps them to learn.
- 3. The possibility of expanding the information through images and videos will facilitate the teacher’s work, as students will better understand the topics and information presented. Likewise, children can expand concepts quickly and easily.
- 4. Incorporating technology into classes will help students develop learning and improve the quality of the educational process.
- 5. Communication between teachers, students, families and teaching staff will become more fluid, improving the learning process.
Has your school team thought about this possibility of digitization for your school?